Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Original 7 Deadly Sins + 3, Part II - Sloth



Ah yes....Sloth.  One o' my personal favorites.  Laziness.  Obesity because of that.  The wasting of one's God-given talents.  Etcetera, etcetera.

Wow, I could go on about this one for a few posts, really.  I just gotta say that, where this check box is concerned, we get a big....fat.....juicy....well-done black check mark here.  If there were EVER a sin we Americans do well, it's Sloth.

The world in itself has become one large slothful offender.  We are most certainly a wasteful and lazy race, with no real hope of changing its ways, of this there is NO doubt.  9 times outta ten, we'd rather pay someone else to do our work for us, rather than do it ourselves.  We'd rather have someone else cook our ,food for us, than cook at home.  We'd much rather just throw something away and buy another one, than try and fix it, give it away to someone who might need it, or shine it up and keep it.  We are the laziest race in the world, that's for sure.

Of the world's population though, America not only takes the cake, it licks the bowl AND the beaters; when we refer to sloth.  Every day new inventions come out that take more and more of the work away from us (as well as our jobs), and you wonder why it is that unemployment is up to 10% or better.  Unreal.  Left in the hands of machines and computers, we won't be much better than the society of Wall-E's imaginings.

The thing I hate, though, is that this particular sin is as contagious as the common cold.  If I'm fired up to do something, and someone comes over and brings a six-pack, and says "Hey buddy....let's just hang out and down a few"...then I start thinking about that in comparison to what I'm about to do, and next thing you know, the beer's in my hand, the TV's on, and I can pretty much scratch this day.  The person I was supposed to be doing that particular thing with gets blown off...the phone rings and I say "Aw screw it...it's just Doug, the guy we were supposed to help de-weed his lawn...voicemail will get it"; and I just qualified for this week's bad neighbor award; as well as probably cost me a a newer just budding friendship with Doug.  Bad news, that slothy stuff.

Sure, it has some upsides; I mean, look at all the cool stuff that would have never been invented, had we not been lazy:  Cars, boats, planes, can openers, microwaves, computers...the list goes on for weeks.  However, there are some inventions that just scream Uber-laziness.  I won't go into examples for this, all you have to do is look around the house to find tons of good examples, then think about how it used to be done to get a feel for it.  Fine, you want a doozie?  The remote control is the ultimate example.  God forbid we should have to get off the couch for anything.  TV's, stereos, car unlockers, alarms and starters, lights, air conditioners...hell, even the remote inventors took remote controls to the borders of lazy with all-in-one and multi-device remotes.  Now we don't even have to MOVE...except to maybe take a shower once in a while and go to work.

This majorly nasty sin tends to shake hands often with gluttony, so I don't' plan to go into our national weight issues just yet.  I'll let gluttony handle that one.  Let it just be said though, that slothful behavior all by itself will be the death of the world, and if not the world, this country?  We easily have bought into the most shares of this commodity.  I can just see a day where my buddy Doug calls me and says "Hey Chris...the Russians just bombed Chicago!" and I'll probably answer with something like "Yeah, yeah...after this episode of 'The Big Bang Theory', I'll be sure and check that out"...and while the next commercial airs, the Russians are in the process of shooting my dog and over-running my hammock, as well as informing my wife what a juicy sex slave she'll make under our new dictatorship.  Watch out for this America-Friendly sin kids, it's easily the one we can probably count on to bring us down, if all others manage to fail.

http://bitsandpieces.us/2012/11/08/the-5-symptoms-of-laziness/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments! Thank you again!! I value your opinions!